by Ed Beach, Drury
It took 15 years and 83 matches for Drury to lose in the regular season within the Great Lakes Valley Conference, but their streak came to an end Saturday in a 5-2 loss to Southwest Baptist at the Cooper Tennis Complex in Springfield.
Drury’s season record fell to 6-4 and 0-1 in the GLVC, while the Bearcats went to 9-8 and 1-0 in the conference.
The Panthers, ranked 14th in NCAA-II, fell behind 1-0 after SBU won two of the three doubles matches. Nico Hadeler and Marlon Wilken, playing in Drury’s lead doubles position, won their match 6-3. However, the Bearcats clinched the doubles point, as David Szeri and Alvaro Nunez defeated Augustin Diot and Claudio Vertiz-Olivares, 6-3.
Southwest Baptist won four of the six singles match-ups. Drury’s Augustin Diot improved to 7-1 on the season with a 6-2, 6-3 win over Carlos Corser at the number two singles position. The Panthers other point came from Isaac Ogilvy, who came from a set down to win 3-6, 6-2, 6-4.
Drury’s first men’s tennis season in the GLVC was in 2006, and since then, the Panthers had never lost to a league opponent in the regular season. Last year, the season was canceled just before the start of the conference season. The Panthers have lost to conference foes in the GLVC Tournament, but never in a match that counted in the GLVC regular season. The streak was at 83 straight victories.
Drury will look to bounce back when they travel to William Jewell for a 2 pm match in Liberty, Missouri.
Southwest Baptist 5, Drury 2
4/3/2021 at Springfield, MO
- Gaber,Adham (SBUMT) def. Hadler,N. (DUMT) 6-1, 6-3
- Diot,A. (DUMT) def. Corser,Carlos (SBUMT) 6-2, 6-3
- Nunez,Alvaro (SBUMT) def. Wilken,M. (DUMT) 6-7, 6-3, 6-2
- Szeri,David (SBUMT) def. Stierling,L. (DUMT) 3-6, 7-5, 6-3
- Ogilvy,I. (DUMT) def. Sanoja,Max (SBUMT) 3-6, 6-2, 6-4
- Khelifi,Ilyes (SBUMT) def. Vertiz,C. (DUMT) 6-2, 4-6, 10-5
- Hadler,N./Wilken,M. (DUMT) def. Corser,Carlos/Sanoja,Max (SBUMT) 6-3
- Khelifi,Ilyes/Gaber,Adham (SBUMT) def. Ogilvy,I./Stierling,L. (DUMT) 6-1
- Szeri,David/Nunez,Alvaro (SBUMT) def. Diot,A./Vertiz,C. (DUMT) 6-3
Southwest Baptist 9-8; National ranking #25
Drury 6-4; National ranking #14
Order of finish: Doubles (12,3); Singles (2,1,3,4,5,6)