The COVID-19 pandemic is forcing the closure of Wilson’s Creek National Battlefield.
The park announced Friday afternoon that they will close the park effective Saturday, April 11, until further notice. The statement from the park said the decision is being made after consulting state and federal health officials.
“It was a difficult decision to close the Battlefield. Every day, many people enjoy the resources available here, but closing will help protect the community, visitors, and employees from the COVID-19 virus,” Acting Superintendent Russ Runge said in a statement. “We will continue to be good stewards of your National Treasure and will welcome you back as soon as possible.”
The park has previously announced the cancellation of April events: Park Day, Junior Ranger Day, Arts in the Park, and spring school tours. Events for May are still tentatively scheduled as of April 10.
The park said they will update residents on a potential reopening date for the park on their website and social media sites.