City Utilities announced a series of operational changes connected to the current outbreak of the novel coronavirus including the suspension of service cutoffs.
CU released a statement to the press outlining the following changes:
• Beginning immediately, CU will suspend the disconnection of utilities for non-payment until May 1, 2020. Customers are encouraged to contact CU to make payment arrangements to avoid additional late payment charges.
• The customer lobby located at 301 E. Central will remain open for customers, but all are encouraged to conduct business by phone or online. Be aware that call volume may increase during this time, please be patient when contacting our Customer Services area.
• Customers may contact CU at 417-863-9000 or conduct business online at cityutilities.net.
• All non-critical business travel for employees has been suspended until May 1, 2020.
• We are evaluating all supply chains and inventory to minimize any impact to essential equipment and supplies.
• We are providing guidance to any employee traveling for personal reasons.
• We have implemented additional cleaning and disinfecting procedures to help reduce chances of the virus spreading.
CU also announced that bus operations will continue as normal in the near future.
CU also wanted to reassure customers that the virus that causes COVID-19 has not been found in drinking water. Treatment methods that use filtration and disinfection, like those performed by CU, remove or inactivate the virus.