If you know a teacher who goes above and beyond to spur their students to gain a love and passion for reading, you have the opportunity to nominate them for a Turner Reading Award.
The Foundation for Springfield Public Schools is now accepting applications for the 2020 Turner Reading Awards. The nominations for the award come from the general public, with a nomination deadline of February 24, 2020.
“When a teacher is passionate about literacy, that passion is passed on to their students, fostering a lifelong love of reading,” Natalie Murdock, Turner Reading Awards executive director, said in a statement. “These awards recognize those outstanding teachers that make such an impact on our students.”
The Turner Reading Awards began in 2002 with the support of the Turner family of Springfield. A cash prize is given to five winning teachers and their schools.
Last year’s winners were:
- Rachel Hoing – Watkins Elementary, Kindergarten
- Shondra Collins – York Elementary, 5th Grade
- Alyssa Wicklund – Westport Middle School, 6th Grade
- Liz Eason – Weller, Reading Interventionist K-2
- Kendall Bennett – Jarrett Middle School, 6 & 8th Grade