Debris On Electrical Cords Cause of North Johnston Fire

A fire at a home on North Johnston in Springfield has been connected to debris around extension cords.

The Springfield Fire Department responded to the fire in the 2100 block of North Johnston Avenue Monday night around 11 p.m. A heavy fire was burning by the time crews arrived on scene and they rescued one victim from the home.

A second victim was able to escape on their own. Both were transported to the hospital for treatment.

Fire marshals determined that debris on top of and squashed next to extension cords caused an electrical fire. The home reportedly had no working smoke detectors to alert the residents to the initial blaze.

Reader Comments