The Greene County Commission has issued a proclamation honoring Turners Station on the 130th anniversary of their founding.
The proclamation mentioned several significant moments in the history of Turners Mercantile.
In 1889, a home built by Howard Turner and John Guffey became the Mercantile and Post Office. In 1923, the building was destroyed by fire but neighbors provided rocks from their fields to rebuild.
Turners Station, a Greene County Historical Site, is believed to be the oldest continually operated store in the county. The store is operated by the fifth and sixth generations of the Turner family, with Jill Elsey-Stoner’s daughter Candace the 7th generation of the Turner family in the community.
Turners celebrated with a picnic on Saturday September 7th where the Greene County Commissioners presented the proclamation.