by Springfield Cardinals Media Relations
Cardinals DH Chris Chinea had a perfect 4-for-4 night at the plate but
Springfield (30-38; 60-78) fell 4-3 to the Midland RockHounds (37-31;
71-66) on Saturday night in front of 6,256 fans at Hammons Field.
W: LHP Tyler Alexander (1-1)
L: RHP Will Latcham (0-2)
S: RHP Jesus Zambrano (7)
MOMENTS THAT MATTERED:
– RockHounds 1B Dan Gamache broke a 3-3 tie with a two-out RBI single in the top of the eighth inning, scoring C Jonah Heim and putting Midland ahead for good.
– After trailing 3-0 early, Springfield began rallying back when Chinea hit his 10th home run of the season in the bottom of the second.
– Still down 3-1 in the fourth, it was Chinea who delivered again, this time doubling in C Brian O’Keefe to bring the Cardinals within a run. One batter later, LF Juan Yepez tied the game 3-3 with a sacrifice fly to center.
– RockHounds RF Greg Deichmann put Midland ahead 3-0 with a three-run shot in the first off Cardinals LHP Evan Kruczynski.
– Kruczynski recovered nicely after Deichmann’s first-inning shot, not allowing another run while pitching into the seventh inning (6.2 IP, 8 H, 3 R, 3 BB, 3 Ks).
– Chinea’s four-hit effort was his first since August 22, 2017 with the High-A Palm Beach Cardinals.
– Beyond the one run allowed, Latcham was effective in relief, striking out two and allowing two hits and two walks over 2.1 innings.