by Springfield Cardinals Media Relations
The Springfield Cardinals (26-29, 56-69) secured a series win with a 6-3
final over the Arkansas Travelers (30-25, 73-50) on Saturday night in
front of 5,577 fans at Hammons Field.
W: RHP Mitchell Osnowitz (2-1)
L: RHP Wyatt Mills (4-2)
S: RHP Connor Jones (7)
MOMENTS THAT MATTERED:
– Cardinals RF Johan Mieses went down and lined a 1-0 pitch from Mills into the Travelers bullpen with two on and two outs in the eighth, putting the Cardinals ahead for good at 6-3.
– Mills managed to retire the first two batters of the eighth inning before SS Rayder Ascanio lined a double into right. Next, the Travelers elected to intentionally walk 3B Yariel Gonzalez and pitch to Mieses, who promptly hit what proved to be the game-winner.
– Two innings earlier, Gonzalez tied the game 3-3 with a two-out three-run home run of his own, this one coming off LHP Matt Tenuta.
– After loading the bases with three walks in the first inning, the Travelers went ahead 2-0 on 2B Jordan Cowan’s two-out single off Cardinals RHP Johan Oviedo.
– Arkansas extended its lead to 3-0 on an RBI single by CF Jarred Kelenic in the fifth.
– Mieses finished the night 2-for-4, homering (13) for the second straight game.
– Gonzalez’s home run was his 11th with Springfield.
– Oviedo allowed three runs on three hits and seven walks over 5.0 innings, striking out seven.
– RHP Will Latcham pitched 2.0 perfect relief innings, striking out one. RHP Mitchell Osnowitz followed those up with a perfect eighth inning before the Cardinals called upon Jones (1.0 IP, 1 H, 2 K) for his second save of the series.