by Springfield Cardinals Media Relations
The Springfield Cardinals (25-29, 55-69) took the first of a three-game
weekend series with the first-place Arkansas Travelers (30-24, 73-49)
5-2 on Friday night in front of 4,794 fans at Hammons Field.
W: RHP Angel Rondon (5-4)
L: LHP Justus Sheffield (5-3)
S: RHP Connor Jones (6)
MOMENTS THAT MATTERED:
– A trio of Cardinals homered in each of the first three innings, building a 5-0 lead for Springfield that carried to the final out. RF Johan Mieses blasted a two-run shot (12) to the top of the berm in center field in the first. In the second, 3B Elehuris Montero went opposite field (6) to right-center for a 3-0 lead. Then in the third, SS Rayder Ascanio blasted his fifth of the season into the visitors bullpen to put the Cardinals ahead 5-0.
– Seattle Mariners top prospect and Travelers RF Jarred Kelenic connected on his first Double-A home run in the sixth, cutting the score to 5-2.
– Rondon piled on another strong start in his first Double-A season, allowing two runs on four hits and a walk over 7.0 innings, striking out seven.
– RHP Merandy Gonzalez tossed a scoreless eighth with a pair of strikeouts before handing it over for Jones and his 1-2-3 ninth.
– After Sheffield held opponents to two earned runs or fewer in his first 10 Double-A starts, the Cardinals put a season-worst five runs on the Mariners No. 9 prospect on Friday after pushing three across in his last start on August 11, also at Hammons Field.