by Springfield Cardinals Media Relations
The Springfield Cardinals (18-15, 48-55) fell 3-1 to the Amarillo Sod Poodles (18-15, 52-49) on Thursday night at Hammons Field.
W: RHP Kyle Lloyd (5-5)
L: LHP Evan Kruczynski (2-6)
S: RHP Evan Miller (4)
MOMENTS THAT MATTERED:
– Amarillo CF Buddy Reed’s two-run home run off Kruczynski in the top of the third was all the Sod Poodles needed behind an impressive outing by Lloyd.
– Trailing 3-0 in the eighth, Cardinals CF Dylan Carlson drilled his league-leading 17th home run of the season to pull Springfield within two runs late.
– After Reed put Amarillo ahead in the top of the third, the Cardinals threatened in the bottom half. But with runners on second and third with two outs, 3B Yariel Gonzalez grounded out to end the threat.
– Kruczynski allowed two runs on three hits and three walks over 5.0 innings, striking out one.
– Lloyd kept the Cardinals lineup off-balance all night just one day after Springfield scored 12 runs on Amarillo. The righty threw 7.0 scoreless innings, allowing four hits and two walks while striking out four.
– Cardinals 1B Chris Chinea ripped a pair of doubles as a part of a 2-for-4 night.
– Cardinals LF Conner Capel has started the series 5-for-6 after a 2-for-3 effort on Thursday.