by Springfield Cardinals Media Relations
The Springfield Cardinals (10-11, 40-51) erased a 3-0 deficit to win the
opener of a four-game series with the first-place Arkansas Travelers
(14-7, 57-32) 6-4 on Thursday night in front of 4,911 fans at Hammons
W: RHP Johan Oviedo (2-4)
L: RHP Darren McCaughan (7-5)
S: RHP Connor Jones (2)
MOMENTS THAT MATTERED:
– After having scored first in each of the last three games, the Cardinals instead had to battle back from a 3-0 hole on Thursday night. They did so with a four-run fourth inning capped by a two-run go-ahead double from CF Dylan Carlson that made the score 5-3. C Brian O’Keefe started the big inning with his seventh home run of the year, making it a 3-2 game. Later, 2B Alberto Triunfel singled Zach Kirtley home, tying things 3-3.
– LHP Jacob Patterson came on in relief in the eighth inning with Travelers on second and third and no outs and managed to get the Cardinals out of the jam unscathed with three straight outs.
– In the bottom of the third, Carlson’s 14th home run of the year put the Cardinals on the board and gave Springfield some much needed momentum that carried into the four-run fourth.
– Oviedo struck out eight Travelers over 5.0 innings, allowing three runs on three hits and two walks.
– Carlson is now 8-for-15 since returning from the All-Star Futures Game. He finished Thursday 2-for-5 with three RBIs and a run.
– Jones was impressive in earning a two-inning save, striking out three Travelers and allowing just a single hit.