by Springfield Cardinals Media Relations
Alex FaGalde’s 6.1 scoreless innings in his Hammons Field debut carried the Springfield Cardinals (33-46) to an exciting 3-1 win over the Northwest Arkansas Naturals (35-41) on Saturday night in front of a crowd of 5,525.
W: RHP Mitchell Osnowitz (1-0)
L: RHP Ofreidy Gomez (4-6)
S: RHP Kodi Whitley (3)
MOMENTS THAT MATTERED:
– With the game tied 0-0 in the bottom of the seventh, Cardinals RF Conner Capel ripped a two-out double off the wall in right field that brought C Brian O’Keefe all the way around from first for a 1-0 lead. One batter later, a single by DH Jose Godoy scored Capel to push the score to 2-0. Then, after a walk by 1B Zach Kirtley, 2B Jose Martinez singled into shallow right, bringing home Godoy and putting Springfield ahead 3-0.
– The Naturals pulled within 3-1 in the top of the eighth and had a chance to tie or take the lead with runners on the corners and two outs, but Whitley came on in relief of LHP Jacob Patterson and struck out Naturals SS Taylor Featherston to end the threat.
– FaGalde lowered his ERA to 0.47 through three Double-A starts behind 6.1 scoreless innings of work, striking out six while allowing seven hits and no walks. The 25 year old has allowed just one run through 19.1 innings of work since his Double-A debut on June 17 at Midland.
– Naturals RHP Conner Greene allowed only a single hit over his 6.0 innings, striking out four and walking one.
– The win is the first at the Double-A level for Osnowitz, who allowed one run on zero hits and a walk over 1.0+ innings, striking out one.