by Springfield Cardinals Media Relations
The Springfield Cardinals fell 6-2 to the Northwest Arkansas Naturals on
Thursday night in front of a crowd of 5,248 at Hammons Field.
W: RHP Brady Singer (2-0)
L: RHP Tommy Parsons (1-2)
MOMENTS THAT MATTERED:
– The Cardinals only trailed 2-1 until the Naturals rallied for four runs in the eighth inning. Naturals C Freddy Fermin homered off Parsons to leadoff the inning and ended up being the final batter for the Cardinals starter. LHP Jacob Patterson relieved Parsons, allowing two runs (one earned) over 0.1 innings. RHP Kodi Whitley recorded the final two outs, allowing an additional unearned run.
– After Naturals CF Nick Heath connected on a solo shot in the third, Cardinals LF Justin Toerner answered with his first Hammons Field home run, tying the game 1-1 in the bottom half of the inning.
– Northwest Arkansas took the lead for good in the sixth when DH Khalil Lee singled home Heath and put the Naturals ahead 2-1.
– Parsons recovered nicely from a tough outing at Corpus Christi on June 20, tossing 7.0+ innings and allowing three runs on just six hits while striking out nine without issuing a walk. He threw 77 pitches.
– The benches briefly cleared in the top of the eighth when Patterson hit Lee with a pitch. There were no ejections.
– Cardinals RHP Brian Dobzanski tossed a scoreless ninth, striking out one and allowing one hit.