by Springfield Cardinals Media Relations
The Springfield Cardinals (28-40) secured their second-straight series
win with a 6-3 final on Saturday night over the Corpus Christi Hooks
(32-35) in front of a sellout crowd of 6,768 at Hammons Field.
W: RHP Tommy Parsons (1-0)
L: LHP Brett Adcock (1-7)
S: RHP Seth Elledge (3)
MOMENTS THAT MATTERED:
– Cardinals CF Dylan Carlson started off the game for the Springfield lineup with a leadoff home run on the first pitch he saw from Adcock. Three batters later, a single by C Brian O’Keefe eventually pushed the lead to 2-0 when RF Johan Mieses came around to score on an error. Springfield would lead the rest of the game.
– The Hooks briefly cut the Cardinals 2-0 lead in half with a run in the third, but an RBI double by Springfield SS Rayder Ascanio and an RBI single by 2B Jose Martinez pushed Springfield’s lead back to 4-1.
– Parsons tossed 6.1 strong innings in his Double-A debut, allowing two runs on eight hits and striking out four without walking a batter. The 23-year-old non-drafted free agent opened the season in Low-A Peoria before advancing to High-A Palm Beach and now has a combined 1.40 ERA across three levels of the minors in 2019–his first full season in professional baseball.
– Cardinals C Brian O’Keefe (2-for-4) blasted his sixth home run of the year in the seventh leading, giving Springfield a 6-2 lead.
– Elledge was perfect in the ninth, earning his third save of the season.