by Springfield Cardinals Media Relations
Austin Warner struck out 10 over six one-run innings to help the
Springfield Cardinals (25-39) cruise to a series-opening 4-1 win over
the Midland RockHounds (31-32) on Tuesday night in front of 5,666 fans
at Hammons Field.
W: LHP Austin Warner (3-5)
L: RHP Brian Howard (5-3)
S: RHP Junior Fernandez (4)
MOMENTS THAT MATTERED:
– A two-run fifth inning for Springfield was the difference on the scoreboard as back-to-back RBI singles by CF Dylan Carlson and DH Randy Arozarena turned a 1-1 tie into a 3-1 lead.
– It was 2B Irving Lopez that scored the go-ahead run in the fifth after a leadoff triple. It was also Lopez that tied the game 1-1 with a solo homer (8) to right field in the bottom of the third.
– Four of Warner’s 10 strikeouts came in the second inning after RockHounds DH Chase Calabuig struck out but reached on a wild pitch to leadoff the inning.
– Warner allowed one run on six hits and a walk over his 6.0 innings of work, exiting with 10 strikeouts for the second time this season (5/14 vs. ARK). Warner has struck out seven or more batters in five of his last six starts and has allowed two earned runs or less in three of his last four.
– Cardinals 3B Yariel Gonzalez had a strong Hammons Field debut, batting 2-for-4 with a double.
– Cardinals 1B Chris Chinea continued to swing a hot bat, mashing his eighth home run of the season in the sixth inning and giving Springfield a 4-1 lead.
– RHP Kodi Whitley struck out four over 2.0 perfect relief innings. Fernandez followed suit with a perfect ninth (2 Ks) and his fourth save of the season.