City, County Seeks Resident Feedback on FEMA Floodplain Map Changes

Springfield and Greene County officials are asking for the public’s input on proposed new floodplain map by the Federal Emergency Management Agency.

Four open houses will take place over three days.

“We encourage property owners to attend one of these meetings to review the preliminary flood insurance rate maps, learn about your flood risk, potential future flood insurance requirements and identify any concerns or questions about the information provided,” Stormwater Engineer Chris Dunnaway said in a statement. “Officials from the Missouri State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA), engineering contractor Wood Environment & Infrastructure, the City of Springfield and Greene County will be on hand at the meeting to answer questions and take any comments you may have.”

The Open Houses will be:

Tuesday, June 4, 3-8 p.m.: Missouri Career Center, 2900 E. Sunshine,

Wednesday, June 5, 2-7 p.m.: Republic City Park, 711 E. Miller Road,

Thursday, June 6:

9 a.m.-4 p.m.: Fair Grove City Hall, 81 S. Orchard Blvd., Fair Grove.


6-8:30 p.m.: Willard Community Building, 222 W. Jackson, Willard.

Letters were mailed to city and county landowners whose properties may be impacted by the changes to the map.

“It’s important to keep in mind that just because you haven’t experienced a flood in the past is no guarantee that it won’t happen in the future. The Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA) is based  upon a flood with a 1% chance of occurring in any given year, which historically has been referred to as the 100-Year event,” Dunnaway said. 

Residents can also review the preliminary maps by visiting the web review map at: and searching their address. If you cannot find your address using the online map and cannot attend a public meeting, can call 417-864-1010.

Landowners will have an opportunity to appeal what they see on the map for 90 days. The appeal period is tentatively scheduled to open on June 12. All appeals will have to show the new or revised information is “scientifically incorrect.” Appeals may be required to have certification from a registered professional engineer or licensed land surveyor.

Reader Comments