by Drury Athletics
The Drury Panthers defeated 23rd ranked Wayne State (Mich.) 4-2 to win the NCAA-II Midwest Sub-Regional at the Peachtree Tennis Club in Detroit, Michigan on Sunday.
Drury improved to 17-5 and advanced to the round of 16 in the national tournament for the third straight season. Wayne State ended their year at 21-4.
The Panthers took a 1-0 lead after doubles as Augustin Diot and Paul Porcher picked up a 6-2 win over Niklas Karcz and Pierre Renaudie, and Leonardo Cerri and Lukas Stierling got a 6-3 victory over Derek Sammons and Donovan Nguyen.
Wayne State’s Max Rink evened the match at 2-2 in a three-set win over Lukas Stierling, 4-6, 6-4, 6-3, but Drury won the next two singles match-ups to clinch the second round victory. Augustin Diot’s win over Pierre Renaudie, 3-6, 6-4, 6-4, gave the Panthers a 3-2 lead, then Leonardo Cerri pushed his team into the next round of the national tournament edging Donovan Nguyen 7-6 (7-5), 3-6, 6-3.
Drury will advance to the NCAA-II championship site at Sanlando Park in Altamonte Springs, Florida and play their third round tournament match on May 21. The bracket will be reset following the regional rounds and Drury’s opponent will be determined later this week. The championship continues through May 24.
1. Niklas Karcz (WSUM) vs. Nico Hadeler (DU-M) 3-6, 6-2, 5-4, unfinished
2. Augustin Diot (DU-M) def. Pierre Renaudie (WSUM) 3-6, 6-4, 6-4
3. Taylor Vane (WSUM) def. Grega Kokalj (DU-M) 6-4, 6-3
4. Paul Porcher (DU-M) def. Griffin Mertz (WSUM) 2-6, 6-2, 6-0
5. Max Rink (WSUM) def. Lukas Stierling (DU-M) 4-6, 6-4, 6-3
6. Leonardo Cerri (DU-M) def. Donovan Nguyen (WSUM) 7-6 (7-5), 3-6, 6-3
1. Griffin Mertz/Taylor Vane (WSUM) vs. Nico Hadeler/Grega Kokalj (DU-M) 4-5, unfinished
2. Augustin Diot/Paul Porcher (DU-M) def. Niklas Karcz/Pierre Renaudie (WSUM) 6-2
3. Leonardo Cerri/Lukas Stierling (DU-M) def. Derek Sammons/Donovan Nguyen (WSUM) 6-3
Wayne St.: 21-4
Order of finish: Singles (3, 4, 5, 2, 6)