by Springfield Cardinals Media Relations
The Springfield Cardinals (13-21) lost 4-1 on Friday night to the Northwest Arkansas Naturals (13-20) in front of 5,846 fans at Hammons Field.
MOMENTS THAT MATTERED:
– The two-run second-inning home run by Naturals 1B Travis Jones was all Northwest Arkansas would need in the game with Springfield being held off the board until plating a single runner in the bottom of the ninth.
– The Cardinals mounted a rally in the ninth after being shut down for the first eight innings, loading the bases with two outs when 1B Chris Chinea was hit on a 2-2 pitch. Next, PH Brian O’Keefe drove LF Justin Williams home on an infield single, but 3B Alberto Triunfel popped out to end the game.
– The Naturals win at Hammons Field is the first win by either Northwest Arkansas or Springfield at that opponent’s home ballpark this season.
– C Jose Godoy led all Cardinals batters with a 2-for-4 night. Only three other Springfield batters managed a hit.
– Hernandez allowed just three hits and four walks over 7.0 innings for the Naturals, striking out six in his first Double-A start of 2019 after beginning the year with Triple-A Omaha.
– The teams combined to leave 38 runners on base, with Northwest Arkansas stranding 26.