by Springfield Cardinals Media Relations
A Johan Mieses grand slam followed by a Conner Capel walk-off single sent the Springfield Cardinals (14-21) home 6-5 winners in dramatic fashion over the Northwest Arkansas Naturals (13-21) on Saturday night at Hammons Field.
MOMENTS THAT MATTERED:
– Capel’s bases-loaded walk-off single was the game-winning hit, but it was Mieses’s pinch-hit grand slam that pulled the Cardinals even at 5-5 after going seven innings without scoring a run.
– Cardinals DH Randy Arozarena put Springfield up 1-0 with an RBI double in the first, but the Naturals responded with four runs in the top of the second on a pair of RBI doubles by Kort Peterson and Nick Heath and an RBI triple by Khalil Lee. That 4-1 lead eventually turned into 5-1 and stood until the big final inning.
– Oviedo allowed five earned runs over 5.0 innings in his first Hammons Field start, striking out four and allowing six hits and five walks.
– The walk-off was the fourth of the year for the Cardinals against the Naturals.
– Springfield relievers Hector Mendoza and Ronnie Williams combined for 4.0 scoreless innings, allowing just two hits and two walks while striking out seven.